Here is a list of 50 free and awesome online homeschool resources!
Some days you feel inspired to create amazing lessons and projects for your kids.
And some days… you just want them to keep busy doing something “educational” so you can get something done, or want a fun lesson without much effort on your part.
That’s where this list comes in! These are some favorite and free resources to download ideas and lessons, or to have your kids learn something new or practice core skills while you wash the dishes or throw in that next load of laundry.
There’s something here for everyone… standard subjects like reading and math, fun activities like magic tricks or creating comics, and electives like piano lessons, Latin, and art.
Comment at the bottom if you have more to add!
Reading Homeschool Resources:
1. Starfall www.starfall.com
Starfall offers free learn-to-read activities. Originally they sold sets of books for learning to read; those are now available online on their site.
2. Scholastic www.scholastic.com/teachers/lesson-plans/free-lesson-plans
Fun discussion guides and activities around popular books.
3. Magic Tree House Center www.magictreehouse.com/teachers_resource_center#teachers_resource_center
Activities and discussion guides for the Magic Tree House books.
Writing Homeschool Resources:
4. Grammar Ninja www.kwarp.com/portfolio/grammarninja.html
A fun online game to learn the parts of speech.
5. TLS Books www.tlsbooks.com/languageartscreativewriting.htm
Free creative writing activities for K-6.
Spelling Homeschool Resources:
6. Spelling City www.spellingcity.com/
Spelling City offers games to help students practice a list of spelling words. Teachers or parents can load in their own lists, so it supports any other spelling curriculum you are using. They also have pre-built lists for things like Dolch sight words.
Math Homeschool Resources:
7. Prodigy prodigygame.com/
This site has a game based on video game principles, where students “battle” and must answer math questions to attack. It is free to use, though a paid membership will provide some additional items in the game. I especially like this site because it has a teacher portal that can be used to track what your kids have worked on and to set appropriate grade based levels for the questions they are asked.
8. Absurd Math www.learningwave.com/abmath/
Absurd Math is an interactive mathematical problem solving game series. The player proceeds on missions in a strange world where the ultimate power consists of mathematical skill and knowledge.
9. MathNet www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mathnet
Mathnet was a segment on the children’s television show Square One Television (1987–92). It is a parody of Dragnet featuring a mathematician/detectives at the Los Angeles Police Department who solves mysteries using their math skills. The episodes are available today on YouTube.
10. Math Blaster www.mathblaster.com
This site has several different free games to improve math skills, and also links to purchase their games for Android or iOS.
11. Math Playground www.mathplayground.com/
Math Playground has math games, word games and logic puzzles. In general they are short and interactive and built around a specific concept, so you can easily choose games that support areas of practice your students need.
History Homeschool Resources:
12. History Channel www.history.com/games/
History Channel games has games based on their TV shows, with some good coverage of history and geography.
13. Best History Games besthistorysites.net/general-history-resources/games-animations/
Best History Games includes links to a wide variety of interactive historical activities, most targeted for ages 10 – 16.
14. Playing History playinghistory.org/
Links to online free historical games, interactives and simulations on all topics in history!
15. Egyptian Tomb Adventure www.nms.ac.uk/explore/play/discover-ancient-egypt/egyptian-tomb-adventure/
Egyptian Tomb Adventure is an interactive mystery set in an ancient tomb. It teaches a lot about ancient Egypt at the same time.
American Government Homeschool Resources:
16. iCivics www.icivics.org/
Free online simulations – run for President, pass new laws, argue real cases!
Typing Homeschool Resources:
17. Typing.com www.typing.com/
Typing.com is a completely free learn to type program. It’s less “gamified” than some other choices, but lessons are short and students can see their progress against the entire set of lessons.
Foreign Language Homeschool Resources:
18. DuoLingo www.duolingo.com
Free website to learn any of 20 languages
19. StartASL www.start-american-sign-language.com/
Free online ASL lessons – including videos.
20. Lively Latin www.livelylatin.com/free-course/
Free intro to latin course – with videos, games, maps and activities.
21. Nihongo Master www.nihongomaster.com/
Free online Japanese lessons!
Programming Homeschool Resources:
22. Gamestar Mechanic gamestarmechanic.com/
Gamestar Mechanic uses a game based quest to teach the skills of creating video games. Once created, other players can play and rate created games.
23. Code.org code.org/learn
Code.org Hour of Code has challenges based on popular movies to learn and create specific coding concepts in a short period of time.
Science Homeschool Resources:
24. Big History www.bighistoryproject.com/home
Big History covers the history of the universe through the present day, and touches on life science, earth science, space science, chemistry and physics. The course is mostly video based.
25. Science Kids www.sciencekids.co.nz/gamesactivities.html
Science Kids includes free interactive activities on all different aspects of science – from biology to chemistry to physics.
26. NASA Space Place spaceplace.nasa.gov/
NASA Space Place has interactive games to learn more about space and the planets.
27. Scale of the Universe htwins.net/scale2/
Zoom from the vastness of space to the components of an atom with this interactive website!
28. NASA – Mars 3D pictures mars.nasa.gov/mars3d/
Includes instructions to make your own 3D glasses!
29. Midnight Kite www.midnightkite.com/index.aspx
Free star charts to download – and use to locate constellations in the night sky!
30. Institute of Physics www.iop.org/education/teacher/extra_resources/stem/page_41714.html
Fun physics experiments with videos to do at home!
31. Animated Physics Videos www.animatedscience.co.uk/flv/
Fun, slightly silly videos covering basic physics concepts.
32. Nova – Hunting the Elements www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/physics/hunting-elements.html
Watch a video about the elements that make up our universe, and play a game with an interactive periodic table.
33. Neatorama www.neatorama.com/2009/11/04/top-10-mad-science-worthy-chemistry-experiments/
Looking for an inspiring chemistry experiment? This is a list of “top 10 mad science worthy chemistry experiments” – with videos and instruction guides.
34. National Geographic for Kids kids.nationalgeographic.com/explore/
Games and videos to learn about animals and other countries
Electives Homeschool Resources:
35. Chess Mentor www.chess.com/chessmentor/
Chess Mentor offers a free set of interactive chess lessons to teach kids how to play.
36. Chess Kid www.chesskid.com/
Chess Kid offers free memberships which allow limited use of the site’s capabilities – learn to play videos, interactive chess puzzles, and the ability to play against other members.
37. Piano Lessons www.pianolessons4children.com/
Free online piano lessons for kids!
38. Art Classes www.free-online-art-classes.com/
Free online art lessons covering many topics including drawing, pastels, watercolor, jewelry making, print making and fabric printing.
39. Art Lessons www.artyfactory.com/sitebody/art_lessons.html
Free lessons covering many types of art, including pop art, mask making, Egyptian art, perspectives and portraits.
Project Homeschool Resources:
40. Magic Tricks www.kidzone.ws/magic/index.htm
Free lessons on magic tricks you can perform for friends and family.
41. Storm the Castle www.stormthecastle.com/
Lots of lessons on hobbies, including bonsai, origami, sword making, and paper crafts. We especially enjoyed the tatebanko printables.
42. SmileBox www.smilebox.com/lp/newsletter.html
Create a newsletter for family and friends showing your latest creations, or sharing information on topics or hobbies!
43. Pixton www.pixton.com/
Create your own comics!
44. Maker Camp makercamp.com/projects
Project instructions for fun hands-on projects.
45. Chop Chop www.chopchopmag.org/
Free healthy and kid-friendly recipes for kids to cook! You can join their free cooking club and receive a monthly email with a cooking challenge, activities and tips. If you complete 6 challenges – you can win prizes!
Multi-Subject Homeschool Resources:
46. PBS Kids pbskids.org/games/
Lots of short games inspired by their TV shows.
47. Knowledge Adventure www.knowledgeadventure.com/
Knowledge Adventure is the company that makes the Jump Start and Math Blaster games – and they are now available free online. Many of the games have apps so they can be played on a phone or tablet. They also have other fun games, including crossword puzzles and hangman.
48. Fun Brain www.funbrain.com/
Lots of games on many topics, especially reading and math.
49. Kids.gov kids.usa.gov/play-games/index.shtml
Kids.gov has some interesting games – put out by the U.S. government! There are many quizzes and interactive games, including branches of the government, art activities, and world currencies. There are also free posters you can order on the Presidential election process and the 3 branches of government.
50. Teach With Movies www.teachwithmovies.org/index.html
Why not watch a movie today! This site has discussion questions and information to make your movie day educational!
If you try these resources – please post your comments on them! And, any other great free resources to add to the list?